Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Enemy

My name is Tyler Chambers,
I am currently a senior in high school, 18 years old, I live in Ohio, and have been fighting Hodgkins Lymphoma since 10th grade (16 years old)
In October 2005,I found a lump on the side of my neck about the size of half a tennis ball. I went to my Doctor Jon Dvorak and he immediately sent me for tests and to meet with Toledo Children's Hospital, Dr Dagmar Stein, pediatric oncologist.
I was diagnosed early stage 2 nodular scelrosing Hodgkins Lymphoma
I received 2 cycles of ABVE-PC chemo considered a rapid responder and was given 2 more cycles.I also received involved radiation to the neck and chest area.I went into remission.
In November 2006 I relapsed with the same stage 2, nodular scelrosing, Hodgkins.I was given "ICE" chemo and received an Auto stem cell transplant (a bone marrow transplant using my own cells)(January 2007) at University of Michigan Mott Childrens Hospital.Again went into remission.
In December of 2007After several CTs for a lung infection, they found another tumor forming.
After a PET CT and a CT needle biopsy they discovered I had relapsed again.I did yet another chemo regimen of Gemcytabine, Vinorelbine and Doxil (PEG-doxorubicin) on day 1, day 8 and day 21 until into remission (2 cycles and it showed clean on the PET CT)
A matching donor was found for an Allo stem cell transplant, since neither my mom or dad or two brothers matched. He was a 35 year old man, A+ blood type like me, 10 out of 10 match, and CMV- (which is good)After a SCT chemo regimen of Busulfan, Fludarabine, and small doses of Methotrexate I had my transplant. I am currently 35 days out of transplant (transplant day 3/26/2008) and am doing pretty well!

No comments: